If you're new to meditation our Two Week Meditation Challenge is a great way to get started and tap into those wonderful benefits of meditation. If you meditate regularly, it's useful for finetuning your process.
The Challenge requires you to meditate twice a day for 15 minutes.
Here's what you need to do:
- Make a conscious decision to meditate for 15 minutes twice a day for the two weeks.
- Please join our Challenge event set up on the Your Journey Meditation facebook page in order to receive our regular posts in the lead up to and during the event.
- Get yourself a journal where you can jot down your experiences, or set up a folder on your computer. Spend a few moments getting clear on why you're doing this, and what outcome you are looking for. What does that outcome look like?
- Decide what meditation technique you are going to use. Meditation is simply bring your mind to stillness. It is a conscious, aware state in the present moment. We use our Your Journey Guided Meditation DVD/download which acts like a conditioning tool, facilitating meditation. It is a 15 minute open eye meditation which was designed by Jennifer to make meditation easy. If you're new to meditation it's a great way of getting your brain used to stillness. It goes without saying, that headphones are needed for computers, tablets or phones. However, you don't have to use our guided meditation, use any technique or tool you like including: observing your breath, watching a flame, or counting down from 100 with each breath in and out.
- When are you going to do your meditations? What time works best for you? Plan for success, and remember it's only 2 weeks!
- Where are you going to meditate? When you are new to meditation, it's a good idea to minimise external noise. Find a quiet place. As you become more practised, particularly if you do open eye meditations, you will find you can bring your mind easily to stillness as you go about your day.
- When you start meditation, make sure you are comfortable, do it seated rather than lying down.
- The first week of the Challenge is all about practising stilling your mind. The second week you are asked to practise a meditation on the word Harmony. It's very simple. While watching the DVD/download/app or doing your own process, repeat the word Harmony over and over, either out loud or in your head. It's all about increasing your inner harmony. Make sure you journal your progress.
What can happen when you first start meditation?
Your brain is not used to meditation, so when you first begin you may experience thoughts, memories, judgements, or criticisms. You also could experience a range of emotions including anger, fear or feeling teary. You may also notice physical changes in your body during the meditation. All of this will pass, treat it as a passing parade.
Here's what to do:
- Be Still
- Withhold judgement.
- Don't get frustrated, you are going through a change. Just relax.
- Be patient.
- Keep bringing your focus to the guided meditation, or your breath, or the flame.
Remember this will pass.
What are the benefits of meditation?
Research has shown meditation produces a number of benefits including:
- A relaxation response
- Increased wellbeing
- Increased concentration and clarity
- Improved emotional responses and ability to regulate behaviour
- Increased immune response
Good luck on your challenge, and remember the most important thing is to have fun!